Contact information for all sponsors including Alaskan Brewing in this post.
What is the Iditarod?
Iditarod is an annual long-distance sled dog run from Anchorage to Nome, in Atlaska. Mushers (drivers in a dogsled) each have a squad of 12-16 dogs and it starts on March 2nd, 2019 and runs for 8-15 days.
Major Issues with the Iditarod
- Approximately 1,000 dogs will be forced to endure the hellish 1,049 mile journey from Anchorage to Nome. The race can take up to two weeks in temperatures varying from 50 degrees above zero, to 60 degrees below zero
- Tethered dogs hauling mushers on sleds have to travel up to 100 miles per day in glacial winds, across perilous terrain, in blinding whiteout snowstorms, ice, & numbing temperatures
- Dogs are forced to pull through unforgiving land, two mountain ranges, the Yukon river, & spanning untamed wilderness
- Alaskan animal cruelty law specifically exempts sled dogs from protection, & has no laws prohibiting overworking an animal. This is blatant animal cruelty
- In fact, the race couldn’t even be held in other states as by its very nature violates animal cruelty laws
- Alaska hosts an annual competitive sporting event running dogs, & running a death toll. Mushers, & Fans claim the dogs enjoy the race because dogs love to run. Loving to run, & being forced to run are entirely different.
- While there is no official count, the 152 recorded sled dog deaths (5 dead in 2017) were for the following reasons: Drowning, over exertion, dehydration, blunt force trauma, ulcers, hypothermia, hyperthermia, vomiting while running & drowning in their own puke, heart attack, pulmonary edema, tangled in tether and strangled, hit by car, hit by snowmobile, shot by musher for injury, acute aspiration pneumonia, impaled by sled, asphyxiation by snow (buried in snowstorm during severe winds), injuries sustained from fighting with other dogs or wild animals, ruptured live
How You Can Help
1. Sign these Petitions
- Sponsors of the Iditarod – Please Withdraw! (8 petitions included, make sure you sign all of them)
- What Happens to Dogs at the Deadly Iditarod Will Leave You Outraged
- Stop Sled Dogs from Being Run to Death and Maimed For Life in Deadly 1000 mile Yukon Quest!
- Tell ExxonMobil to stop promoting dog abuse to kids
2. Send a personal email to the sponsors and ask them politely to drop their sponsorship to this event and focus on the inherent cruelty of the Iditarod.
List of emails of sponsors (please use your own email for To: and BCC all the following emails)
Info@donlingold.com, Info@penair.com, Mlarson@alaskanbeer.com, email@example.com,
firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, Cardservices@nrim.com, Rcs@gci.com, Mike.email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Follow the below links and use the contact forms to submit your letter to these sponsors
- Anchorage Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram https://www.anchoragechryslercenter.com/contact.htm
- Providence Alaska medical center
News of Witnessed Abuse
- Commentary: My dad’s dying wish: Free the Iditarod dogs
- Coca-Cola Ends Sponsorship of “Cruel and Deadly” Dog Race
- Miserable Dog Pleads His Case on Local Buses During Iditarod
- The Iditarod is hounded by cruelty allegations, infighting and a doping scandal
- Against the Iditarod: Dogs deserve better than cruelty